Broken Bass string

David Porritt dporritt@swbell.net
Sat, 29 Aug 1998 19:29:49 -0500

David:

This goes counter to "conventional wisdom" on this subject, but I have seen
places like the church you describe where softer hammers caused more breakage
than harder.  There is a certain amount of emotional feedback the pianist wants
in the music.  If the hammers are soft, they simply have to play harder to get
what they are after.  I really think placing a stage monitor closer to the
pianist where he/she can hear the piano better would help the most.  This
person wants a certain sound and will play as hard as it takes to get it.

dave

--

David M. Porritt, RPT
Meadows School of the Arts