pianotech-digest V1997 #1082

Andy&Chris Taylor tempola@swbell.net
Sun, 30 Aug 1998 03:58:39 -0500

Subject: Re: upright pinblock replacement.

HI Rob.
Yes the piano had ample downbearing, which I find a bit unusual in an old
piano. most of the time I have to lower the plate a bit on those old
uprights.
I used a "jig" of sorts to record plate height( a tapered piece of wood) and
got it as close as possible.

You also reminded me of a question that I do need to ask you and the group,
is there a better and more accurate way to set the down bearing than what is
described in the Travis book "a guide to restringing'? That has always has
worked really well for me, but that method really depends upon sight than
anything else.

I know some guys measure downbearing in thousands of an inch. so when you
are faced with a old piano that has lost some of it's crown, how do you know
what the exact setting would be in that case?

regarding your other question, the sides had to be removed, the glue joint
had given way, and the inside had to have new veneer installed. I know the
sides are sometimes rough to realign, but I don't like to have a side
"cramp" me, even while restringing.

BTW, I think I would rather restring than most anything else. I love hearing
that "full piano" sound come back (especially if you heard it before!)
Andy

Andy,

Interesting procedure here. I have a couple of questions, however...

First, what about down bearing? Was there proper bearing before and thus
you duplicated what was there, or did you change the hight of the block
in any way for an adjustment? Of course you could still adjust some on
the lower end of the plate, but was just wondering.

Secondly, I was thinking about any difficulties drilling the pin holes
at the extreme ends. It occurs to me that the tight space against the
wall, (side), of the piano might be a problem. You mentioned that you
made a "shelf" across the top. I assume you are referring to the similar
technique on a grand when drilling with a modified drill press, correct?

Just curious,

Rob Goodale, RPT