jack be nimble

Andy&Chris Taylor tempola@swbell.net
Sun, 30 Aug 1998 04:10:22 -0500

Steve wrote:
>   Next problem:  Everything lines up and works great except for one jack
>in the high treble that holds the hammer approx. 1/2" off of the hammer
>rail.  The wippen is level with its neighbors and I don't see any sign of
>other misalignment problems.  Without removing the action (I'm really
>hoping to avoid that chore again) it almost looks as though that jack is
>a bit taller than the others, but I figure I must be missing something
>else (probably obvious, hopefully simple).  Any suggestions?

Hi Steve.
there could be many reasons for this I will try to help:-)
1 the jack could indeed be too tall, maybe taken from an old upright or
something.

2: the jack could be glued to the whippen at a angle, or maybe not firmly
seated in the
 whippen.

3: The hammer butt could be the wrong type or a piece of felt is gone,
making the jack slip under the butt. does the hammer block?

4: somebody might have used a incorrect flange on the hammer butt.

5: the jack could be binding, some jacks are notched to clear the letofff
rail posts. every once in a while, someone will mix the jacks up.

6; weak or broken jack spring??

Thats all I can think of.
Andy