Broken Strings

Wim en Debby wim.debby@village.uunet.be
Sun, 30 Aug 1998 23:20:05 +0200

Hi List,
I read some of the reactions and l thought l could ad something to this. I
once tuned a piano of a concert pianist. It had a lot of broken strings too.
In that case it was in the trebble. I never knew how it was possible to
break so many strings, untill l read Reibeholz' book "  Das regulieren von
Steinway & Sons klaviermechaniken und deren reparaturen". I found out that
the strikingpoint of a hammer is very important. When the hammer hits the
string a little too high or too low from the strikingpoint it can cause
broken strings (cuz of the false vibrations). (In case of Steinway some have
a regulationscrew in the right block to adjust the strikingpoint).  Now, l
dont know if this causes the broken bass strings in the yamaha-piano
mentioned a couple a days ago  or in the churchpiano's mentioned yesterday
but l hope I have added something to solve these problems.
Wim

Wim Vermeyen
Wim's Piano Service
wim.vermeyen@advalvas.be