Yamaha out of tune

Frank Cahill fcahill@erols.com
Mon, 31 Aug 1998 09:17:31 -0400

Ron Nossaman wrote:

> >Thank you. Boy, I can't beleive I missed this.  I assume that like the
> >Baldwin accu-hitch plates, you  can damage the plate if you tighten
> >those rim bolts.
> >
> >Frank Cahill
> >Associate Member
> >Northern Va
> >

> Hold it, hold it, just a minute here. I've read a few posts to this effect,
> and I'd like to take exception - pending meaningful clarification, or
> demonstration. The point is that the bolts don't get loose in these systems
> (even though it's not the bolts that get loose in the first place in a
> conventional system, but the compression of the dowels/blocks/panel the
> plate sets on that makes it appear so). Since they don't "get loose", they
> don't need tightened. If you try to tighten them and they don't move,
> wouldn't you stop trying to tighten them? ......
> "I feel better now, Dave."
>          - HAL 9000 -
>
>  Ron

OK, Ron.  No offense taken.

I was taught to tighten (snug 'em up...don't drive 'em in deeper) all
plate bolts before tuning. I don't do it if I just tuned six months ago,
but definitely on first time customers.  I usually get 1/4 to 1/2 turn
on each.

I was told NOT to tighten the bolts on the Baldwin with accut-hitch
systems or else risk damaging the plate.  This info came from a
well-respected RPT/rebuilder.

'Course, no one told me how much effort it would take to damage the
plate...so I leave them alone.

You are correct...tighten anything enough and something will break.
Common sense rules here.  But not being a rebuilder, there are some
things for which I don't have a feel. One being how fragile a plate
actually is.

Oh well, that's why I read the posts.

Thanks for the info.

--