Striking Point

Christopher D. Purdy purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Mon, 31 Aug 1998 11:13:39 -0500

>In the continuing saga of my first major overhaul (no "R" words here) -
>an old upright - I am ready to install new hammers (Encores from
>Brooks). Have removed the old hammers (except for end hammers of each
>section), installed new flanges (applied denatured alcohol/water mixture
>to loosen tight centers), travelled hammers, installed hammers to action
>and put action back into piano.
>
>The new flanges fit nicely, but I did notice that the distance from the
>notch to the birdseye was slightly longer than the old flanges (perhaps
>1/32"). Unfortunately, I didn't save any of the old flanges. So now I'm
>concerned if this is going to throw the striking distance off? Reblitz
>(which I refer to religiously) recommends striking distance of 1/7 of
>speaking length. However, I measured speaking length of C88, calculated
>1/7th and compared to the old hammer , and it is considerably off. Way
>more than the slight difference in the new flanges, but looks reasonable
>compared to what I am used to seeing on verticles; i.e. around 1/8"
>below the v-bar.
>
>I would appreciate any and all advice on  setting the stricking point.
>Thanks again to all who have provided excellent advice along the way.
>
>--
>Jerry Hunt
>Dallas, TX USA
>Associate member PTG

Jerry,

Unless you know for a fact that the hammers you are replacing are not
original, I would strongly suggest that you get your strike point from your
samples.  Theory is one thing but good sound is another.  If the hammers
were put there at the factory, there is probably a good reason for it.

>Reblitz
>(which I refer to religiously)

You may want to consider worshiping at a more modern church.

(that's it, i'm in for it now)

chris

-Christopher D. Purdy R.P.T.   School of Music  Ohio University  Athens OH

-purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu   (614) 593-1656    fax# (740) 593-1429