The pianists view

Martin, Thomas N (MARTITN5) MARTITN5@Juniata.Edu
Mon, 31 Aug 1998 14:35:26 -0400

Hello list,
	I would like to thank everyone who answered my question on broken
strings in my C3.  Now I'd like to remind everyone that every person has a
different way of looking at things.  Many technicians, it seems, wish to
reducible players who have broken strings as bangers without technique.  I
disagree I have been at the concerts where the artist has broken strings and
pianists famous for their sensitivity and technique have broken strings as
well.  I don't think it is a good things to break strings all the time just
because Liszt did it.  I think it is important to recognize the limits of
the instrument at hand and respect that (a 6' piano will never have the
sound of a 9' no matter how much you want that kind of volume in
crescendos).  I do intend on keeping this in mind when playing - the
instrument isn't perfect.  However perhaps this is something that can be
"improved" There was a string not long ago about the need for new technical
advances in piano design - perhaps this is something to consider.
Tom Martin

http://www.geocities.com/hotsprings/villa/4107
martitn5@juniata.edu