turned-around keyboard

conrad hoffsommer hoffsoco@martin.luther.edu
Mon, 31 Aug 1998 14:01:15 -0500 (CDT)

This just came in on the harpsichord list.  Kinda wonder if the tuning pin
coils  are reversed, too.  Maybe just for fun the screws all have lefthand
thread?

>Date:         Mon, 31 Aug 1998 19:31:26 +0200
>Sender: Harpsichords and Related Topics <HPSCHD-L@CNSIBM.ALBANY.EDU>
>From: "D.C. Carr" <d.c.carr@obgron.nl>
>Subject:      turned-around keyboard
>To: HPSCHD-L@CNSIBM.ALBANY.EDU
>
>To whom it may concern:
>    De Volkskrant printed the following report in today's paper.  I
>recall there was some discussion of this in recent months, so I thought
>that some might find it interesting.
>
>=========
>
>    There is hope for left-handed pianists.  The Dutch firm of Poletti
>en Tuinman has made for the English pianist Christopher Seed a mirrored
>piano which is ideal for a left-handed player.  The piano will be
>delivered this week.
>    On this piano the treble is on the left and the bass on the right,
>so that the difficult passages can be played with the 'strong' hand.
>The pedals are mirrored too.  For left-handed pianists that is
>particularly a great advantage in concertos of Mozart and Chopin.
>    Seed (34) worked on his invention for two years.  Next February Seed
>will play a concert[o?] for the first time on his new piano, in the
>Queen Elizabeth Hall in London.  The program includes Chopin's first
>Ballade, which he has been studying his whole life.
>
>=======
>
>I hope that the last sentence is not meant more denigratingly that I've
>translated it:  the Dutch expression suggests, at least, that mastery of
>the piece has eluded him as yet!  The badly placed pronoun in the last
>sentence of the 2nd paragraph could refer either to the mirrored pedals
>or to the mirrored manual.
>
>Best,
>Dale

Conrad Hoffsommer         Office - (319) 387-1204
Luther College            Music Dept Fax - (319) 387-1076
700 College Drive         hoffsoco@luther.edu
Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045

Phillip's Law:
Four-wheel-drive just means getting stuck in more inaccessible places.