The pianists view

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Mon, 31 Aug 1998 12:06:07 -0700 (MST)

Hi Thomas:

I congratulate you on your willingness to keep in mind the limitations of
the piano. If you are a concert artist, you know how debilitating it is to
have to finish a recital or concerto with a damaged instrument.

There is something which can be done immediately to the design of the piano,
however, most would not like the results. If the general tension level is
lowered at the design stage, more string breakage could be avoided, but,
the clarity of the tone and the duration of the tone would be hampered.
There just are certain limitations in life. Most of the major producers of
fine pianos have empirically determined where the best trade-off lies.

Jim Coleman, Sr.