The pianists view

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Mon, 31 Aug 1998 15:52:00 -0400

Dear Mr. Martin,

I spend nine years in a university setting with performers, teachers
students and 'others'.

Some observations:

    The piano is essentially a 19th century machine requiring  intense
maintenance, is not modularly constructed and requires much skill on the
part of those doing the maintenance.
    Student pianists rarely break strings, except on pianos with high
tension pianos like Kawais and Steinways.  I had only on Yamaha break a
string or two in a practice room and it was the oldest in the stock,
about 1968 or so.
    Professional performers those making money by playing) don't often
break strings on their home pianos.  Exceptions are the Russian
performers who wear out a piano in a year.
    My personal taste is for music that leaves me feeling like a had a
positive experience in listening to it.  I have a strong dislike for
much 20th centruy music because of it's disonence and because all of it
is played fortisimo, disregards the limits of the piano, and generally
leaves me flat with a bad taste in my psyche.
    Most piano instructors of pre 20th century music rarely have
breakage problems unless the piano is of an inferior design.
    Performance pianos reserved for performance only endure for years
will few broken strings.
    Performance pianos used for practicing don't endure well.
    Teaching instruments used for practicing do not endure well.
    Playing technique can enhance or decrease endurance of a piano.
    Overly hard hammers, high tension scales, heavy playing, percussive
music (?) and poor technique contribute to a technician's early demise.

I have found that the C-3 is an exceptionally durable instrument with
moderately voiced hammers.  You may have other problems as well, but
those are likely to be rare.  Improperly shaped capo bar, over stretched
strings, tuned much to frequently excessive bearing at bridge or capo
bar.

I hope your problems are resolved quickly.

        Newton
        nhunt@jagat.com