Petrof

pianoman pianoman@inlink.com
Mon, 31 Aug 1998 17:31:04 -0500

Hi All,
	I'm a little late jumping in on this, but in my humble opinion, if a piano
is going to be called a fine piano and the instrument maker wants his
product to be known as a fine piano it should be a fine piano when it gets
through with the dealer prepping and certainly before delivery.  Jory's
piano may have BECOME a fine piano when it was finished by his own
technician but it was only a average piano before that.  It should not be
left up to the aftermarket technician to do what the manufacturer didn't
do.  If the reputation of the Petrof is going to rise it must be a fine
piano right out of the box, so to speak.
	  Let me give you an analogy.  In the pipe organ field, Kilgen was one of
those manufacturers that turned them out like a cheese factory.  Many were
built and set up and Kilgen got a reputation for being a mediocre organ.
They went under in the 1950's and since then, organ techs have been finding
that with some tinkering of wind pressures and voicing the same instrument
that was thought of as mediocre is suddenly a fine organ, now since someone
took the trouble to finish what the factory started.  It should not be our
job to finish what the manufacturer started.  If the maker want to get a
fine reputation he should provide FINISHED pianos, not pianos almost done.
The Petrof may be cheaper than a Yamaha but how much after work do you have
to do on ANY Yamaha from the largest grand to the cheapest console.  The
answer you all know already.
James Grebe
R.P.T. of the P.T.G.
 St. Louis, MO.