Rebuilding Artist Benches (New Thread)

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Sun, 1 Feb 1998 19:38:02 EST

Robert writes:
>A common problem that I have found with many older benches is that they
>start rocking on the "X" lifting support, and many simply become
>difficult if not impossible to turn the handles to adjust. Thus the
>question is: is it a worth-while proceedure (cost vs replacement) to
>strip and recover these things with simi-professional results,
     I don't think so.  At some point, the mechanism is beyond feasibility to
repair, at which time I just bolt the thing together at one height.  It
doesn't rock, or squeek, or adjust.  It just sits there..........

>On a related topic, for practice and studio use, does anyone have
>comments on the cheeper artist benches out there (AKA the "Petite"
>benches such as that found on P. D-1 in the PianoTech catalogue). Do
>these hold up as well under regular use, or are they better suited for
>the occassional home user?
Ours, at Vanderbilt, seem to hold up as well as the heavier benches. We get
them from Jansen, exclusively.
Regards,
Ed Foote