Harmony of the universe

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Tue, 3 Feb 1998 09:42:01 EST

Greetings,
<< I don't know the accuracy of this theory, or if there is a planet that
takes
432 days to orbit the sun.
My thought when I heard the theory was, to quote you, "Yeah Right!">>

      It is interesting to hear pianos at much lower pitches than are common
today.
When chipping a newly strung piano, I will do the first tuning at a low pitch,
just to aid in moving strings, beckets, etc.   It is at this time I usually
try one of Owen's temperaments, doing a little sketch work before I pull the
piano all the way up.
     It is not uncommon to find the smaller grands having a real nice tone at
something like A-430,  losing it out to more power, (albeit strident power.)
as i bring it up to 440.
    Several of my instruments exhibit this trait.  I have a Hurdy gurdy that
just sings in Bb, sounds sedated in A,  begins to get right peppy in C, and
squawks  when pulled up to D.
   Some pianos just may be a lot nicer sounding when tuned low, and the
singers sure are going to run out of range if the present practise of
increasing pitch continues.
Ah well,  There is a religious movement associated with the 432 reasoning, but
there are acoustic reasons for a lower pitch, as well.
Regards,
Ed Foote