voicing Steinway L

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Tue, 03 Feb 1998 11:59:07 +0000

Hi Lance,
    This post is not intended for the customer. Likely once you fix
those notes she will find two more.  I would check or do the following
on just those two notes: (not intended to be a complete list)

1. Pluck strings comparing to be sure it's hammers and not in the piano.
2. Centerpins. (too loose or looser on one side)
3. Hammer Leveling (gets unlevel after needling)
4. String seating at bridge
5. Palida polish strings
6. Try deep needling (sometimes works)
7. Ironing or more fine sanding
8. Compare hammer shape with others and duplicate
9. Laquer hammers. (sometimes the only way)

  I avoid discussing with customers the drawbacks of various tricks of
the trade, especially when dealing with only a few hammers, because if
you end up having to use that trick they will likely be searching for a
problem.  Many customers will complain only because they think something
might be wrong. In the end it should be the sound and eveness that
counts, which requires different treatments to cover for natural built
in uneveness in the piano.

-Mike Jorgensen RPT