Structural integrity of S&S

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Fri, 13 Feb 1998 21:22:15 -0600 (CST)

>Ahh yes, but now we're getting into "accoustics". I was refering (as the
>original question was posed) to "structural" integrity of the case. The
>piano pictured was subject to stresses in excess of 10 tons! Certainly a
>triumph for any piano. Just exactly how much stress such an instrument
>could withstand I couldn't begin to calculate, but certainly 10 tons is
>impressive. I would not suggest we do a destructive test to find out
>which brand of piano can withstand the most abuse, but I think S&S has
>held it's ground. Yes, the legs were certainly put to the test, but I
>wouldn't say that the rest of the piano was whistling dixie.
>Particularly since the strings alone normaly add an additional 20 tons
>of tension to the instrument. Also- it is probably safe to say that the
>this weight was not gently layed on the instrument. Rest assured, it was
>a sudden bouncing crash!
>
>Thus, getting back to the original topic, under "normal" use,(unless
>normal means that you live under a volcano), I think it is safe
>statement to tell a customer that S&S rank top on the list. The VERY
>top? Who knows. Again, I wouldn't want to do a destructive test to find
>out, but it is probably a safe statement to say so in a business
>environment anyway.
>
>Just a thought... (bracing for flames)
>
>Rob Goodale, RPT

Rob, old man, the concept of the piano as load bearing furniture is
something a lot of us have been fighting for too many years already. Correct
me if I'm wrong here, but aren't the resulting acoustic properties pretty
much the reason any manufacturer of decent pianos goes to work in the
morning? "Today, I'm going to build a three legged box that will support the
weight of a bulldozer, never mind how it sounds. In fact, you can leave the
action out if you need the space for diagonal bracing and we can have an
elephant driving the 'dozer." Or how about - "Did you catch the concert last
night? Boy was that piano STRONG." It's a little like speculating on the
number of tuners that can dance. %-) Kind of leaves you hanging doesn't it?
OK, that ought to be enough abuse for now, you get the idea. Pretty pitiful
for flames, I know you were all braced for it, but my pilot light isn't
working right this late in the week. I hope you understand.

 Ron Nossaman