Cellular vs. Digital

Greg Newell gnewell@EN.COM
Wed, 18 Feb 98 21:38:20

Mike and List,
	Please be careful when selecting your new phones.  I have just gone thru all
this and got my first cellular phone recently.  I specifically remember 2 very good
reasons that I chose cellular over digital.  1) a digital connection that goes beyond the
digital service area into the extended cellular area is dropped , forcing you to redial.  2)
You must be very careful when buying a phone. there is no standard out there for digital
service.  If you go with AT@T and there digital phone you are , more or less locked in
to that service because the phone is designed to work with only that companies
standard.  Other companies have signed on a different standard.  Who will you go with?
will it be forever or will you spend another $200 with the next contract for their phone?
	For me personally, I think that the service is not quite ready without a unifying
standard and not enough towers.  Even if you do have to use analogue cellular in
outlying areas the switch should be seamless and not noticable during the call.  Just
my opinion.
				Greg Newell
Greg and Mary Ellen Newell
Greg's Piano Forte`