HT's (Ad Nauseum)

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Wed, 18 Feb 1998 06:22:49

Tom Cole wrote:
>> << At the moment, my wife is playing Schumann (Blumenstuck op 19 in Ab
>>  major). It sounds offal, I mean awful. All of the tones having equal value
>> seems to put the temperament in a bad light. The key of Ab in Vlotti-Young
>> requires some major finessing by the pianist.  >>
>>
>> Just curious, does your wife have the same opinion of the sound as you do?
>
>She is asking, when do I put it back in tune? She did just as you were
>saying, poking the noisy intervals in a rude sort of way.
>
>> You are right when you say that the music must be played differently
than it
>> is when tuned in ET.  The faster beating that you hear which disturbs
you can
>> and should become that which gives stregnth and character to the music.
>>
>I'll experiment with different ways of playing to see how I can make it
>sound well.

Tom, could you do something for me? If the piano is still in the
Valotti-Young, could you sit down with the Blumenstuck by Schumann, and
play through it very slowly? When it sounds like "offal", could you analyze
for me which intervals are bothering you the worst, and which direction you
would move them? i.e. is it
a busy fifth (too narrow)? a wide major third (too fast)? a narrow major
third (too slow)? or a series of intervals like consecutive thirds or
sixths which is
too uneven?

Inquiring mind would LOVE to find out!

Best,

Susan

P.S. Loved our dinner at the convention, and trying out the EX. Give my
regards to your wife.

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com

"Time will end all my troubles, but I don't always
approve of Time's methods."
		-- Ashleigh Brilliant