Ideal vehicle/pitch raise

Mon, 1 Jun 1998 08:41:02 -0500

Esteemed list,

===vehicle=

My vehicle of choice is a new S-10 extended cab pickup with driver side 3rd
door and fibreglass topper.  First brand gnu vehicle I've bought since '70.
I'll worry about tax ramifications later, but I'm gonna see if I'll die
before it does. (I'm 52 and not suicidal, btw)

Since I'm a "part-timer" [part of the time I'm fulltime tech at Luther, and
part of the time I'm tuning private pianos in the area], I need a
multi-function vehicle.  I use mostly my own tools at school, so when I
"moonlight" I have to schlepp all my tools/supplies from office to truck and
back.  I use a heavy duty luggage cart.

3rd door gives me more security for valuables, keeps the toolcase I take
into the home clean, and ends glue freezing.

It is a "high visibility" vehicle  - bright red and with custom license
plate "pno2ner". I _have_ gotten customers with it.  "Nice truck... What's
that license say?... I've got one at home that could use you..."

Been customizing "Wild Thing" (really should be wild hair).  Had some scrap
1/4" panels (plywood) - cut and fit to completely cover pickup bed, then
using (also used) carpet squares (formerly in music bldg, but in decent
shape) fully carpeted the bed.

Primary reason is to make my July living quarters (camping to and from
Providence) more comfortable, but it also quiets ride, reduces dust
incursion, keeps toolboxes from traveling, and is much kinder to grand
actions.  Easily removable for firewood or piano hauling.

Also installed extra pair of speakers, so I can crank Steppenwolf, E.Power
Biggs, Van Cliburn or Lautenwerke. ;-}

===strip inserter=

For inserting temperament strips, I use an old upright sticker which I've
sanded down the bird's eye to a screwdriver blade shape and liberally
sprayed with silicone.  It is easy on the strip, doesn't gouge or scrape the
soundboard if I slip off, and I can use the other end to seat strings.

Conrad

Conrad Hoffsommer		Office - (319) 387-1204
Luther College                         Music Dept Fax - (319) 387-1076
700 College Drive
Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045             hoffsoco@martin.luther.edu

Ignorance doesn't kill you, but it will make you sweat a lot. - Haitian proverb