BOOKS

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Mon, 1 Jun 1998 10:43:25 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 30 May 1998, Rogerio Cunha wrote:

> To the list.
> I need to find the books PIANO TUNERS COMPANION (Oliver C Faust) and
> PIANO ACTION HANDBOOK. I saw this two books on page 3 of the catalog nr
> 7 of the Ford Piano Supply Co. I think that Ford no more exists and I
> don't know where find it. Thaks to all. Rogerio Cunha - IC Member of the
> Guild - Rio de Janeiro.

Hi, Rogerio:

Although both books are probably still available today, they are of
little practical use.  The Faust book has been around for a LONG time,
and it's chief value lies in the aural system of tuning it describes which
many tuners seem to feel is a fairly "modern" invention. Faust's system
starts on Middle C, then tunes UP two, consecutive major thirds; then
DOWN, a perfect fifth to C#; then UP again, two consecutive major thirds;
then DOWN again, another perfect fifth to D; then UP again, two con-
secutive major thirds, etc. It's an alternative way of aurally setting
the temperament, or laying the bearings, which works quite well. Likewise,
the Piano Action Handbook is an increasingly little-used reference work
as the technician becomes more experienced in regulating a variety of
grand and upright actions. Nevertheless, some technicians will undoubt-
ably enjoy watching these unused books as they collect dust while sit-
ting on a bookshelf. Your money can be spent more effectively elsewhere.

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net