Ahlstrom Upright

DGPEAKE@aol.com DGPEAKE@aol.com
Tue, 2 Jun 1998 23:34:04 EDT

Dear Friends and Collegues,

Yesterday I serviced an Ahlstrom Upright listed in the piano atlas but no
serial number sequence.  This particular piano had a fourth string in the last
3 octaves.  This string was not being struck by the hammer.  The piano is
strung through agraffes, 4 holes (and 4 tuning pins per unison), another
agraffe below being an individual v-bar, and the extra string through a hole
that sits lower than the 3 strings.

My original analysis is that the extra string is to ad harmonics within the
upper section. I did pluck it to the same pitch as the 3 stings. Obviously
since the Pierce Atlas lists the Ahlstom piano and no serial numbers, not too
many were made.  What are your thoughts?

Have fun.

Dave Peake, RPT
Portland, OR