What temperament is a guitar tuned?

Keith McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Wed, 3 Jun 1998 01:40:31 -0500 (CDT)

> These figures may be used with a Sanderson Accu-Tuner and possibly a
>  mechanical Strobe tuner.  All values are read on Octave 4  (this is
>  important).  An adjustable guitar tuner may also be used but the results may
>  not be accurate.
>
> E2: -2.0¢  A2: 0.0¢  D3: 1.0¢  G3: 2.0¢  B3: -2.0¢  E4: -1.0¢
>       -4.0¢        0.0¢        2.0¢         4.0¢       -4.0¢        -2.0¢
>
> Bill Bremmer RPT
> Madison,Wisconsin

This information, while workable on what I consider a high quality acoustic
guitar, introduces a more noticeable vibrato effect throughout many of the
chords, somewhat reminiscent of the David Gates tune, "If".  So if that is
the sound someone wants to hear on every song they play, have at this
formula.  Though I imagine the chords will sound different in varying
degrees on other guitars using these formulas due to the information Tim
Keenan has already posted.

You made a curious statement, Bill, which prompts me to ask if you own any
guitars now, or have in the past?  That statement BTW is: "...I have
observed that many people tune their guitars by making solid unisons with a
fret and open string as you describe...".

Keith A. McGavern
kam544@ionet.net
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731