Stretching

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Wed, 03 Jun 1998 09:32:41 -0700 (MST)

Hi Bob:

Yes. We do impart an additional stretch. When an octave is in tune where
the 2nd partial of the lower note is exactly in tune with the 1st partial
of the upper note, in all likelihood, the 4th partial of the lower note
will be sharper than the 2nd partial of the upper note. This will cause
the 3rd-10th test to show the upper note flat, ie the 10th will be slower
than the 3rd in that test. Therefore, it is common practice to stretch a
little more to get the best balance of all of the octave harmonic
relationships.

Jim Coleman, Sr.

PS An example of the 3rd-10th test is where the F3-A3 Major Third and the
   F3-A4 Major 10th are equal in beat speed, proving a perfect 4:2 match.
   In most all cases on a piano this will make a wide 2:1 relationship.