Baldwin L rusty strings

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Wed, 03 Jun 1998 15:33:22

Greetings Avery,
                  From your description it sounds as if something has been
spilt or worse yet, some friendly rodents have been marking their turf.
Look at the sides of the bridge and sound board for tell tale signs,
(stains and discoloration)  check the vertical laminations of the bridge
carefully to ensure there is no seperation.  Coke or urine tends to be very
corrosive, if in the worse case you have to restring a section phone Kent
and get a compound bearing gauge on loan, if you do not have one. I think
Baldwin supplies instuction on how to use the device.  If you are using the
piano supply house, three legged dial gauge, 0.010" is very close with the
centre leg place at the centre of the bridge. A few years ago I conducted
some test on thermo couple, and galvanaic effects on bass strings. ( little
electic currents that flow between dissimilar materials/and chemical action
between metals.) This sounds off the wall but if you have 1 to 10mA of D.C.
current flowing between the bridge pin and the string some kind of fluid is
causing a galvanaic effect, which will accelerate corrosion, and hence
breakage.  I have misplaced my test results and am going from a memory that
may be addled.  You will need a DVM ammeter to effect this
measurement.200microamp 100milliamp ranges.
 Now you must think I'm certifiable.
Regards Roger

Roger Jolly
Balwin Yamaha Piano Centres.