What temperament is a guitar tuned? (encore)

Keith McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Wed, 3 Jun 1998 21:05:10 -0500 (CDT)

Dear Bill, List,

Right now I *am* chuckling somewhat at the liberties you take in saying
what you have said.  If I didn't know better, I almost get the feeling you
are taking this personally.

On to the business of replying to this last post of yours.

>...Yes, the guy was really lame...

Thank you for qualifying the opera thing.  It all makes sense now.  Yes,
you were definitely a blessing to that situation.

>I'll skip replying in detail to the rest of your reply, Keith.  You tried the
> figures on one guitar, heard what you wanted to hear and believed what you
> wanted to believe.  You want to believe that there is only one way to tune the
> guitar, your way, the way you have always done it. I  know you don't want to
> come right out and tell someone else that he is wrong, that would be too
> strong. It is far easier to simply believe in and agree with someone else who
> says that anything but ET would be wrong and without proving it, proclaim that
> it "wouldn't work".

No, no, no, Bill.  It's all in your head these things you are saying.

>Apparently you did not try the alternative set of figures.

That's correct.  I did not do that.

>You took only the
> most extreme set, claim that you tuned according to them (no one knows if you
> did it accurately or not or whether the right partial selection was used)...

That's correct, Bill, I took the most extreme set, and yes, Bill, no one
knows, certainly not you, if I have the ability to set a Sanderson
Accu-Tuner II accurately to a simple setting in both windows and stop the
lights, but me.

> ...Regular old out of tune ET was
> better than any of this nonsense that these HT kooks come up with.

(For the record: I have made no reference to ET or HT in this thread.)
Continuing,

More correctly said, Bill, the last tuning I put on this extra special
guitar I own was so solid from the last time I tuned it (more than a month
ago), that it sounded just as in tune as then (to my way of experience),
than the figures you provided which I implemented.  (Now, this is not to
say your figures produce an out of tune guitar.  It's just to say your
figures don't satisfy as well as my figures for this particular
instrument.)

>...I don't know how it could be that I would tune this guy's guitar for the
> production and for so many other people the same way and have them all say how
> well they liked it if it is as "wierd sounding" as you say.

You did a fine service for this production. But let's face it, Bill, any
reasonable knowledgeable tuner would have been able to make an improvement
with your description of the "lame" person.  And once again, I did not say
it was "wierd (weird) sounding".  I used the word "vibrato", to which you
readily agreed by replying, "The "vibrato" is noticeably and considerably
altered."

>If I were to
> follow your opinion of the matter, it would have been better to let the guy
> tune his own guitar off pitch in some vaguely disorganized manner than to do
> what I actually did.

Balderdash.

>...When I go to Providence next month,  I will participate in a morning long
> event where those who attend will largely be delighted by what they hear.
> There will be others  who will not go because they already know that what they
> will hear, they will not like.  It will not matter what it is that is
> presented.  They might hear the same thing someplace else and not think
> anything negative at all but because the very idea does not fit their pre-
> conceived, hard-line notions, they will not like it. They will group together,
> perhaps in the Cyber Café, grumble about what they think is so wrong about it
> and shake their heads in disbelief that so many could get interested in an
> idea that just "won't work".
>
>So I really don't expect you to change your mind, Keith.

I have been to the tune-offs and historical presentations both in Orlando,
FL and Dearborn, MI.  I found them to be very informative and educational.
I equally admire and respect the individuals and the contributors who gave
of their time and the materials for such events.  It truly is an incredible
happening.  I would recommend to anyone to experience such an event.  Your
opinions on the above are just that, opinions.

>But I am quite sure
> that if you had been in the audience of that production of the Man of La
> Mancha, you probably would have had no negative comment about the guy on stage
> playing the guitar.  If I had left him to his own devices, what he really
> thought was ET, you most likely would have said what the director did, the
> guitar was out of tune.

Please remember, Bill, I never made a negative comment.  Your
interpretation only.

And lame (weak, ineffectual; unsatisfactor) is lame.  In this opera
instance, it only had to do with being off pitch and out-of-tune as you
mentioned above (...off pitch in some vaguely disorganized manner...).  No
amount of posturing on your part will alter the simple fact, being off
pitch and/or out-of-tune simply doesn't have anything to do with ET or HT.
Not anything at all.

Sincerely,

Keith A. McGavern
kam544@ionet.net