wrong repair

Steve Grattan lostchordclinic@ameritech.net
Thu, 04 Jun 1998 16:26:10 -0400

Jon Page wrote:

> Trebuchet
>
> At 10:21 AM 6/4/98 -0600, you wrote:
> >Just thought you could cry with me about this one.  I looked at an
> >Everett console piano a couple of days ago that had a damaged leg - so I
> >was told by the customer.  Well------ the damage went way beyond the leg
> >as the real problem was that the bottom of the key bed that the leg was
> >mounted to was fractured.  Some previous owner had tried to fix this with
> >a generous application of Elmers (white btw).  The story doesn't stop
> >there as in the process of gluing the key bed the squeeze out also
> >managed to get on the tops of low A and B ( fortunately they still play
> >).  AND the same squeeze out proceeded not only to these keys and the
> >split bed, but also to the key slip and to the cheek block on that side
> >of the piano, none of which are currently removable without some serious
> >work alongs the lines of glue line breaking.  Any thoughts as to how to
> >tackle this???  (I have considered a match and about a gallon of gas or
> >its equivalent.)
> >

> >       John Fortiner
> >
> >       pianoserv440@juno.com

> >You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail.
> >Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com
> >Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

You might try gently heating the affected areas with a heat gun.  The
key word is `gently'.  Too much direct heat will fry the finish. Work
from behind the keyslip and cheek block after you remove the fallboard
and keys. You might even need to remove the keyframe - paying careful
attention to the location of any shims.  The glue should soften when
heated to 120 or so degrees.  Maybe enough to get a flat blade under the
affected parts.  You might even heat the blade to further help soften
the glue.  Good luck !!  :)

Steve Grattan, Associate
lostchordclinic@ameritech.net