Harvey report: <was Newton ... back to batteries>

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Thu, 04 Jun 1998 16:11:54 -0400

Hi Tim,

I normally carry my Mini-Mag in a belt holster. Once, while reaching for
something else, I turned it off, stuffed it in my pants pocket, and forgot
about it. At some point, the Mag's automatic turn-on feature activated. Later,
while driving in traffic and strapped into my seat belt, I got the message
(those little bulbs get hot). I failed to mention that the Mag was in my front
pocket, and the inner liner of the pocket had somehow shifted towards...
ah, an
unfavorable direction. Apparently the light had been on for quite a while.
This
could be a good testimonial, as I'd like to tell you the pink bunny kept on
drumming. Alas, the rabbit died.

As I type this, I just returned to the swamp to order some supplies before the
suppliers close, and to return some calls. At the moment, I'm carrying the
above-mentioned Mag-Light and two other sources of artificial illumination,
due
to old eyes; and one Palm Pilot, due to old brains. Like those inclined toward
knives and other weaponry, if a strip-search were performed, I believe I could
still produce some form of light generation. Yesterday, however, it would
likely have been due to residuals from the new industrial sauce I tried at
Toxic Bell.

Glancing over at my briefcase, I see a backup PDA, a micro-cassette
recorder, a
digital diary, a miniature clip-on book reading lamp, and the remote control
for the car alarm. (I don't worry about Billy-Bob and his brother Billy-Bob
stealing der diesel, since they aren't smart enough to start it. I do want my
tools to stay IN the car). I won't enumerate what's around me, or in the
service vehicle. I will mention that I've modified SAT #322 so I can stay
self-contained for weeks on the road without the need for power outlets.
(Don't
ask, it's a convention class thing).

To be environmentally aware, and for cost purposes, I try to select items that
(a) have low current draw; (b) feature optional (AC adaptor) sources for
power,
(c) use alternative sourcing [car battery / recent thread on rechargeables].

In a feeble attempt to stay on topic, I feel that hammers are the paper towels
of the piano -- they are disposable. Batteries are the same. I'd like to tell
you I benchmark all my batteries. In reality, I just want the stuff to work
when I turn it on.

Sorry I couldn't help.

At 06:36 AM 6/4/98 -0500, Tim wrote:
>Hello again Jim Harvey,
>Among regular alkaline batteries did you find any performance differences
>between the various brands, both national and private label brands, as far
>as cost Vs performance.?
[cut]

Jim Harvey, RPT
harvey@greenwood.net