pitch lowering and strip muting

Keith McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Fri, 5 Jun 1998 09:05:55 -0500 (CDT)

>...PTG's Steve Fairchild RPT, holds a World Record (Guiness) for having tuned a
>piano in under 5 minutes...
>
>Bill Bremmer RPT

Dear List,

Further clarification might be of interest concerning this record.  Having
participated in one of Steve Fairchild's classes several years ago, he was
asked about this Guiness World Record.  He explained this record was for
pitch raising a piano -100 cents to A440 in 5 minutes.

To develop this speed he practiced on a Baldwin Acrosonic by pitch raising
and pitch lowering the pitch 100 cents more times than I can remember him
saying.  At the time of this class, when asked if he could still do that,
he casually commented he could not perform up to that speed anymore, that
it would probably take about 8 or 9 minutes now.

Imagine that!

Keith A. McGavern
kam544@ionet.net
Registered Piano Technician