Sound in Feet per Second.

CA music.conx@net1plus.com
Fri, 05 Jun 1998 18:46:02 -0700

> Most of this information can be found in the "Wood Handbook: Wood as an Engineering
> Material." This is US Department of Agriculture publication. It's official title is
> "Agriculture Handbook #72."

Hi,

Funny timing on this thread - I'd been poking around University of New Hampshire's library on
this subject.

"On Measuring Wood Properties" (M.E. McEntire and J. Woodhouse, Catgut Acoutical Society
Journal nos. 42 [1984], 43 [1985] and 45 [1986]) collects a great amount of material on
mechanical properties of spruce, such as for grain angles, grain straightmess, as these apply
for violin makers. Plenty of formulae for the ambitious.

I also found a publication which leaned a bit away from these properties as constants,
focussing instead on testing individual spruce (and maple) trees and samples with a
Shigometer; "Violin Woods: A New Look", Alex L. Shigo & Karl Roy, University of New Hampshire,
1983. It has not very much in the way of properties, though.

Clark Panaccione