Steinway hammers

Alan W Deverell aland@casa.co.nz
Sat, 6 Jun 1998 13:36:12 +1200

One of the significant differences between Steinway NY and Hamburg (as
with most other European Piano makers) is that NY use Softer Felt for
their hammers and then harden it up with dope/lacquer etc. In Europe
the reverse technique is adopted i.e.. Harder Felt voiced BACK to
soften/even the tone.

I have discussed the pros. & cons. of this with several very qualified
Technician/Builders and I shall just say that:

"While the SAME results can ultimately be achieved by either method -
the long term results seem to be in favor of beginning with hardened
Felt"

Your choice in this MUST be guided by the training and methods with
which your Technician is most comfortable - tempered by the TONE
specification which you desire for your piano.

It is NOT uncommon for the hammers to be re-covered - this is like
changing the oil of your car - just make sure that you get the correct
grade to suit your engine (read - tonal colour preference).

If you are a ENTHEUSIASTIC pianist, try "Piano-L" which is the
Performers and Teachers forum and just as stimulating as "Piano-Tech"
but more musical.

To join post an "e-mail" with "Subject" completely blank and the
single word "Subscribe" (without the double quotes) in the "message"
line - nothing else.

piano-l@uamont.edu

see you there?

AlanD (spying on Piano-Tech - just briefly)