Steinway hammers

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Fri, 05 Jun 1998 18:47:42

Greetings,
          Some of the factory hardeners take several months to cure
completely, particularly the keytop and acetone mixture.  These very bright
notes should be saturated in acetone several times to wash the hardener
towards the molding. I have found this will not always work, if too much
hardener has been used. If you have the patience, the best results are
achieved by very light application, then play the piano in for a month or
so, and repeat as required to build the tone up to the desired level.
    I have never been a fan of the very hard keytop mixtures, due to the
extreme curing time. This type of material is also hard to needle at a
later date when it may be desireable to voice the hammer down.
Hope this helps
roger
Roger Jolly
Balwin Yamaha Piano Centres.