Pedals

David ilvedson ilvey@a.crl.com
Fri, 5 Jun 1998 17:41:54 +0000

List,

I will be repairing a few lyres in the next month...a Kawai,
Yamaha and Baldwin.  I thought I'd ask the list about favorite
ways to tackle pedals.  The problem I have with them all is glue
joints typically with the (from Mason's book), lyre top
block/posts connection.  I understand that Kawai has some
"nails"? in the top block running into the posts, learned from a
Norm Neblett class.  Also from Norm's class he complained about
how the posts are attached to the block with wedges on the
outside of the post rather than in the middle.  He says his
complaints haven't changed the design.  The Yamaha is a
diskclavier with the player mechanism attached to the back
of the lyre.  This ways a lot!  The glue joint is loose as
well between the top block and the posts.  I haven't
repaired on of these yet.  What are favorite ways to take apart
the lyre before regluing?  Any tricks and things to look out for
would be appreciated...

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA