Pedals

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Fri, 05 Jun 1998 19:46:24

Hi David,
         Save yourself a lot of work by using CA glue. Tape the bottom of
the crack with PVC electrical tape, so that it will not ruin the finish. I
prefer the hot stuff brand. Use the thin viscosity to run down the sides of
the glue joint, and the the ultra gap filling to fill the cavity between
the shim and the side of the hole let dry or use accelerator. Finally use
the thin on the end grain of the dowel. The procedure works well with the
leg and the console.
  Before starting, place a block of wood on the top of the assembly and
give a few good whacks with a hammer, to ensure the horizontal piece is
firmly seated.
  Leg and lyre seperation is very common in our dry climate, for the past
three years we have been applying Red Hot Stuff to the end grain of the
dowel. It seems to prevent shrinkage, and as such we have had zero
failures, since adopting this practice. Prior to this we were running about
50% failure in the first 12 to 18 month period.
  You will probably be suprised at the amount of glue that will run into
the end of the end grain.
Hope this helps
Roger

At 05:41 PM 6/5/98 +0000, you wrote:
>List,
>
>I will be repairing a few lyres in the next month...a Kawai,
>Yamaha and Baldwin.  I thought I'd ask the list about favorite
>ways to tackle pedals.  The problem I have with them all is glue
>joints typically with the (from Mason's book), lyre top
>block/posts connection.  I understand that Kawai has some
>"nails"? in the top block running into the posts, learned from a
>Norm Neblett class.  Also from Norm's class he complained about
>how the posts are attached to the block with wedges on the
>outside of the post rather than in the middle.  He says his
>complaints haven't changed the design.  The Yamaha is a
>diskclavier with the player mechanism attached to the back
>of the lyre.  This ways a lot!  The glue joint is loose as
>well between the top block and the posts.  I haven't
>repaired on of these yet.  What are favorite ways to take apart
>the lyre before regluing?  Any tricks and things to look out for
>would be appreciated...
>
>David Ilvedson, RPT
>Pacifica, CA

Roger Jolly