Yamaha Service Bond -Reply

Vanderhoofven dkvander@clandjop.com
Sat, 06 Jun 1998 10:58:16 -0500

At 03:02 PM 6/5/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Having said that, you
>must weigh the importance of some of the less crucial stuff, such as
>hammer alignment - not that it isn't important, but seldom far off in
>Yamahas - with the really necessary things like balance hole easing,
>hammer height, escapement and drop.

>Steve Pearson
>Yamaha Piano Service

Thanks for your reply.  However, I must respectfully disagree with you!  I
am beginning to think that hammer alignment is one of the best things that
I can do for a new piano the first time I see it.  If the hammer alignment
is not done, and the hammers are misaligned, then years down the road when
the piano does need hammers aligned, it will need hammer shaping in
addition before the hammers can be spaced.  To quote Barney Fife from the
Andy Griffith show, "You've got to nip it in the bud."

Of course, if the hammers are spaced correctly, then go on to something
that does need attention.  On the last grand piano that I performed a
Service Bond for, the hammers were really in need of alignment.  I suppose
other pianos won't need it as badly.

And, since you work for Yamaha, I would like to request an official word
from Yamaha as to what the correct procedure is for the Yamaha Service
Bond, and (perhaps, most importantly!) how much time is Yamaha willing to
pay for if I do a conscientious job on the Service Bond?

Thanks!

David

David A. Vanderhoofven, RPT
Joplin, Missouri
http://www.clandjop.com/~dkvander/

#pianotech page:
http://www.clandjop.com/~dkvander/ircpiano.html

New web page for the Joplin Community Concert Association
http://www.concerts.joplin.com