Steinway hammers

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sat, 06 Jun 1998 15:56:42

Hi Newton,
          You are quite correct in saying that the volitiles evaporate
quicker with the use of acetone, however you are refering to the free
acetone molecules, and not the very complex polymer that you have created
by melting the keytop STUFF?? The attached molecules of the polymer are the
ones that take a long time to be given off.  Since acetone is an alcohol,
and is hydroscopic, the RH conditions will have a significant effect on the
rate of curing, hence that is why we notice such dramatic effects in this
region.
  To correct you on a minor point, laquer thinner is also an alcohol, and
is also hydroscopic, and there fore is effected by moisture, and is not
impervious, as Steinway may claim. Ask any refinisher.
  My practice of always dry ironing after all voicing, helps to over come
some of the hydroscopic activity
  I think it is the climatical conditions, that may be the gap in our
understanding, as I have certainly seen some very gross trebles on new
Steinways, that I would bet, have had a much harder material than laquer
applied.
Regards Roger

At 10:16 AM 6/6/98 -0400, you wrote:
>> hardeners take several months to cure completely, particularly the
>keytop and acetone > mixture.
>
>Roger, the reason for using acetone and plastic is that the acetone is
>so volitile that it evaporates very quickly (twenty minutes) compared to
>laquer which takes months to completely harden.
>
>Steinway uses laquer because it is impervious to moisture.
>
>                            Newton
>                            nhunt@jagat.com

Roger Jolly
Balwin Yamaha Piano Centres.