tail up or tail down

Michiel van Loon mvanloon@xs4all.nl
Sun, 7 Jun 1998 13:49:47 +0200

Keith and List,
The last time I moved a 1.70m  grand piano, it was up from a basement.
We had to do the keybed first because at the top of the stairs there was a
very short landing, only 0.80m, where we had to make a turn.
With the keybed first, the center of gravity (is that the right expression?)
was ON the landing and there was less risk of the piano going down again.
BTW we used the lid to try out if there was enough room to go up the stairs
and make the turn. The house was not completed yet when the piano was placed
in the basement.

Michiel van Loon
mvanloon+AEA-xs4all.nl
Homepage http://www.xs4all.nl/+AH4-mvanloon
Meppel
Nederland
+ACI-With both feet on the ground you'll never make any progress+ACI-
Tom de Kok, Dutch politician

+AD4-List,
+AD4-
+AD4-In moving a grand piano up an incline, ramp or stairs, and assuming you
+AD4-have an open space at both the to and from points, is there a preference
+AD4-which end, keyboard or tail, should go first?  What works best and is
+AD4-considered safest?  And vice versa, coming down.
+AD4-
+AD4-At your convenience,
+AD4-
+AD4-Keith A. McGavern