Castor cup report

pianoman pianoman@inlink.com
Sun, 7 Jun 1998 07:15:44 -0500

Hi All,
In my ongoing battle to use my power tools as sources of income I began my
quest for the HI-Tech hardwood castor cup.  Here is how my prototype set of
three came out.
	I got some good looking 1" solid oak and cut them into 1&1/8" thick pieces
about 6" long. and the piece came out to 1&1/8" thick  I glued enough of
these together with titetbond and clamped a couple of days.  I drew my
5&1/2" circle and mounted them on my face plate and off I went.  They came
out pretty nice and with progressively finer sanding on the face plate on
down to the grey synthetic steel wool they had a gloss just like a good
finish even though there was none.  Shined like the dickens.  I glued on
the bottom some new chamois like material and upstairs I came to give it
the acid test....the right front leg of my M&H "A".  I lifted , and the
wife took out the plastic( formally hi-tech) castor cup and switched it
with my new on.  As I let down the weight I heard sounds.  Within 15
seconds the weight had broke one of my glue joints, even having used tite
bond.  I quickly lifted and switched again before it cracked all the way
through.  I now have hi-tech coasters.
	 In the mean time I had ordered a set of walnut castor cups from Schaff.
They are not walnut but poplar and stained and finished in a brown
color.(words don't mean much any more).  Yesterday I began my new set
matching the size of Schaffs example out of solid poplar.  Same treatment
with the progressive sanding and polishing but no high gloss like the oak.
I actually had to rough it up a little to get the wood to take the stain
where I had it glazed over.  I stained the second last night and have 1
more to turn today and stain.  I will then apply finish tomorrow and later
in the week give them the acid test of my M&H.  Will give further report
after the test.
Boy, I am sure glad that I tested the laminated oak ones first at home
before selling them!

James Grebe
R.P.T. of the P.T.G. from St. Louis, MO. USA, Earth
pianoman@inlink.com
            May I listen as well as I hear.