Castor cup report

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Sun, 07 Jun 1998 17:16:39 -0400

James, a sad and funny story (the conversion from caster to coaster being the
got'cha). You did say the glue joint failed. Was it really the glue joint that
failed or the wood?

If the former, could it have been due to grain orientation?
If the latter, could it have been due to grain orientation?

Clamping and waiting a couple days leaves patience out of the equation, so...

[Guessing mode on]
1. For budget reasons, you may not have worked much with oak;
2. The oak wasn't 'furniture' grade, but would have made a fine picture frame;
3. You paid too much for it either way;
4. Glued-starved joints are not that hard to accomplish with oak.
(Like why I'm careful hanging mahogany core hammers with hot glue).
5. We've all seen otherwise 'pretty' oak tear like string cheese.
(Like why in my attempts, the glue holds and the wood fails).

Other options: real chamois, flatter floors, or a lighter piano. The M&H (with
Imadegawa's) may be too stringent a test. Start with a glass, then add ice,
then lemonade, and continue until you find the load-bearing characteristics of
oak. 8-}

At 07:15 AM 6/7/98 -0500, you wrote:
>       I got some good looking 1" solid oak and cut them into 1&1/8" thick
pieces
>about 6" long. and the piece came out to 1&1/8" thick  I glued enough of
>these together with titetbond and clamped a couple of days.  I drew my
[cut]

Jim Harvey, RPT
harvey@greenwood.net