Bridge Pins

Michiel van Loon mvanloon@xs4all.nl
Mon, 8 Jun 1998 11:35:39 +0200

Vincent Chambers wrote:

+AD4-One of my clients has an 18 year old Grotrian 7+ACI- grand in need of
+AD4-restringing partly due to corrosion. Since the bridge pins would have to
+AD4-go as well, I'm looking for advice on the best way to remove and replace
+AD4-the pins, and any other tips/advice someone with Grotrian experience may
+AD4-have concerning restringing.

Newton Hunt answered:
+AD4-Why do you need to replace the bridge pins?  It is unusual to need to.
+AD4-Removing and replacing is not just a quick fix.  I think Grotian used
+AD4-solid brass pins which will be hard to find here.

Vincent,
Like Newton says , why should you replace bridgepins?

Newton,
I just checked my own Grotrian, it has steel bridgepins.
It is Bechstein who uses brass bridgepins.
To replace them you can use brass nails of the right size.
Hammer them in the bridge until they reach the bottom of the existing holes,
cut them to approximately the right length, then grind or  file to exact
length. when you use a circular grinder, Don't forget to protect all piano
parts from the grinding dust and don't let the pins/nails get hot. Clean out
the piano with a brass magnet :).
Michiel van Loon
mvanloon+AEA-xs4all.nl
Homepage http://www.xs4all.nl/+AH4-mvanloon
Meppel
Nederland
+ACI-With both feet on the ground you'll never make any progress+ACI-
Tom de Kok, Dutch politician