SAT

Mike Musial mmusial@acsworld.net
Tue, 9 Jun 1998 08:43:56 -0400

>Any replies pro or con are welcome from the list.

>In my opinion, the best use of an electronic tuning aide is:
>1) To measure the intervals used in setting the temperament by cents, which is
>far different than hearing these same intervals by beats.  Getting the cents
>to be even up and down a temperament is something an ETD can easily do in a
>few minutes, and by comparison is a very long process to do by ear using beat
>rates.
>2) An ETD can speed up the time it takes to tune out from the temperament by
>octaves, and makes tuning by 2:1, 4:1, 6:3 or whatever a breeze.

This is exactly the way I use my tuning device. I am glad to see this
expressed so well.

I am an RPT and have tuned aurally for about 18 years before incorporating
an SOT. I started using this  expressly for the above two purposes.

I have recently read the SAT manual available at the Inventronics home page,
and was glad to see the description of "direct interval tuning" This is
pretty close to my method.

My main reason for coveting an SAT is for concert work. It seems most large
rock and jazz concerts assume the piano technician is using an ETD with some
calculated tuning. The small amount of time and the large amount of noise
one has to deal with seems to indicate this. There have been times when I
would have done anything to be able to just follow the lights, putting my
trust in the calculated tuning.

For 95% of my work however, the combination of my ears and my trusty old SOT
works great for me. I am trying to save up that $1600 for the SAT though...

Jim, How much better is the sensitivity and filtering in the SAT II as
compared to the SOT?

Mike Musial RPT
Reedsville Pa