Tune-off

Tue, 9 Jun 1998 16:10:58 -0500

David,

At 13:58 6/9/98 -0600, you wrote:
>I would like to hear who well Virgil tunes a spinet, not a Steinway D.
>To me, that is a far better test.  Any chance of another match using poorly
>scaled pianos?

Would that be called a psoff?  - Pronounce _that_ however you want to.

Sounds interesting, but would you really want to find, and prep, a matched
set of _______ spinets? [Fill in the blank with your favourite (available) pso.]

Ron Nossaman opined:
>I don't seem to read anything at all in these discussions about the aspect
of tuning I rely on the most - minimum garbage. <snip>// aural sculpture...
--------
Replying to him off-list I said:
I think what you (Ron) are saying is akin to my adherance to the law of
diminishing returns.  Knowing when that point is reached is where the "art"
comes in, right?  Or as I might have said in my earlier post re: Virgil -
When it comes down to listening to a tuning/performance.  Results, not
methods, count - if you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?
-------

Having a psoff would only throw more uncontrollable variables into the
tunings so that, even with well matched pso's,  you would be comparing
apples with oranges.

The only way I could currently imagine that anything meaningful would be
obtained would be tuning the _same_ small instrument by each participant,
record not only the tuning using multiple ETDs, but audio playing of same
musical selection.

Then compare the recordings, etc. blind audition style.

My 2.5¢.

Conrad

Conrad Hoffsommer		Office - (319) 387-1204
Luther College                         Music Dept Fax - (319) 387-1076
700 College Drive
Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045             hoffsoco@martin.luther.edu

Ignorance doesn't kill you, but it will make you sweat a lot. - Haitian proverb