Restringing just the bass

DaleP34429@aol.com DaleP34429@aol.com
Wed, 10 Jun 1998 12:45:13 EDT

In a message dated 6/10/98 10:58:09 AM EST, jgrassi@silverlink.net writes:

<<
 Unfortunately I have a client who had something spilled on the bass strings
 of her 10 yr. old Kawai GS-40.  Now about 2/3 of the strings are ruined.
 Which brings up a couple of questions for me in replacing them.
 1)  Since the piano is only 10 yrs. old, would it still be a good idea to
 replace them all so there will be no noticeable difference between the new
 and the old? I've only replaced bass strings on old pianos and the
 difference would have been obvious.
 2) Should tension be let down on the whole piano to replace so many bass
 strings?  Is there a preferred way of doing this?
 3.)  How many follow up visits should I expect to make before these new
 strings will be stable again?  In the past, I've done this on pianos in the
 shop and didn't have to worry about additional trips to the customer who was
 trying to play on the piano every day.

 Thanks to you all in advance.  Any suggestions a/o comments are greatly
 appreciated.

 Jeannie Grassi, RPT
 jgrassi@silverlink.net
 Bainbridge Island, WA

Hi Jeannie,

1)I had a fifteen year old KG7 that had the "real thing" (Classic Coke)
spilled on a section of about ten strings. I replaced the ones directly
affected and they blended with the existing strings pretty well. In your case
with so many ruined it may be physically easier to replace the set but I don't
think blending will be a problem. I would just replace the ones that are
ruined.
2) I would not worry about letting the tension down on the rest of the piano.
If you are worried about the tension thing, just replace a few at a time. It
will save time stabilizing the piano later.
3) This is hard to answer, it depends on the customer to some degree and how
sensitive they are to the bass being out of tune. I would suggest seating the
strings at the hitch pins, coils, and termination points really thoroughly,
then tuning them and pounding them firmly as possible. I would suggest at
least three return trips and be prepared for six or even nine, again depending
on the customer.

Best,

Dale Probst
Registered Piano Technician