Restringing just the bass

Carl Root rootfamily@erols.com
Wed, 10 Jun 1998 14:29:57 -0400

Hi Jeannie,

Jeannie Grassi wrote:
> Now about 2/3 of the strings are ruined.
> 1)  Since the piano is only 10 yrs. old, would it still be a good idea to
> replace them all so there will be no noticeable difference between the new
> and the old?

In addition to tonal consistency considerations, it would be easier to
order and install a whole set.  Ten years of use on the remaining
strings is not insignificant.  The old ones would be the first to
die/break eventually.

> 2) Should tension be let down on the whole piano to replace so many bass
> strings?

Fear not.  Just remove them all.  (measure the pitch on a few notes in
the low tenor section and you'll be surprised how little they change.)
It's much more efficient to do one thing 26 times (or whatever), then
another 26 times, than to do one string top to bottom, then start on the
next.

> 3.)  How many follow up visits should I expect to make before these new
> strings will be stable again?

Leave the bass sharp and come back in a few weeks.  I'd leave it open
ended, but I doubt that more than two or three visits would be necessary
as long as the musician understands that new strings will stretch.

Carl

Back to the World Cup :-)