Restringing just the bass

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Wed, 10 Jun 1998 18:58:05 -0400

Jeannie, I just read your post and the early replies at the same time. The
other replies added their two cents, all good stuff. Now I'll add my quarter's
worth:

1. Replace all the strings
(a) This is a client problem, not a Jeannie problem; don't make it one
(b) GS-40's (or 30's) are expensive compared to bass strings
(c) Instrument is too good to be compromised by patch efforts
(d) There are more than six involved (Harvey's rule);
(e) The remaining 1/3 are already at half-life
(f) Early 'feathering' in may come back to haunt you downstream
(g) Remaining 1/3 could be non-visibly contaminated
(h) Effort for all is about the same as for 2/3's, once rhythm is established

2. Installation
(a) Tighten plate lags
(b) Do not lower overall tension
(c) Remove all strings at once
(d) Substitute string-winder's copper wire on tails with shower curtain hook
(e) High treble tuning will go to dog meat (climb)
(f) High treble tuning will return auto-magically after installation; touchup
required

3. Depending on =where= contamination occurred
(a) Clean bass and/or long bridges of any residual contamination
(b) Use light and close inspection at bridge pins and string path, as
appropriate
(c) Check/clean understrung portion (plain wire) for any signs of
contamination

4. Tuning / Other
(a) You didn't mention location of spill, so no advice on pinning
(b) JimRPT's mention of pulling high as you string works as advertised
(c) Re: How many trips. Don't make a career out of it; see item #1a.

Regards,

At 08:43 AM 6/10/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Unfortunately I have a client who had something spilled on the bass strings
>of her 10 yr. old Kawai GS-40.  Now about 2/3 of the strings are ruined.
[cut]

Jim Harvey, RPT
harvey@greenwood.net