Inharmonicity in other instruments

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Thu, 11 Jun 1998 17:06:38 -0500 (CDT)

Bill B,

I think what you are seeing here is the result of the higher inertial mass
of the lower pitched reeds. The reed excursion will be comparitively wider
under greater air pressure in a heavier, more flexible (relative to mass)
reed than in a lighter, stiffer one. It should therefor take the heavy reed
a little longer to complete a cycle under more pressure. Do the higher
pitched reeds climb in pitch too with higher pressures, only less?

Ron

>When I play the G2 button and push the bellows normally, the other 4 reeds
> sound in octaves that are apparently beatless. When I push forcefully, they go
> out of tune with each other.  You can hear beats within the octaves.
>
>If there is inharmonicity or a phenomenon which is equivilant to it or at
> least produces an effect which mimicks inharmonicity,  I would naturally be
> inclined to investigate a tuning scheme which would stretch the octaves.
> However, if it turns out that only the lower reeds  have this "inharmonicity"
> or they are the only ones where it can really be heard in the range where all
> the intrument's harmony occurs, then stretching the octaves would only make
> this "bellows effect" worse.  The lower reeds would go all the more flatter
> against the upper reeds.
>
>I am interested to read what you have to say about this.
>
>Bill Bremmer RPT
>Madison, WIsconsin

 Ron