DUMMY PIN

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Thu, 11 Jun 1998 23:07:40

At 10:49 PM 6/11/98 -0300, you wrote:
>Thanks to all. I am sure that is difficult to me understand some technical
words  that were used to explain how to make the slot. I would like to know
effectively how to make this slot. I suppose that is something as to cut
from one tip of the pin to the other tip and with this cut, on that part
cut,  the pin becomes half cylindrical and half plane. There is no doubt
that is good to cut 1/4 below the hole. There is no doubt that is good to
enlarge the hole but how to make the slot is a problem. because some words
like KERF or 'quick-slip' I can't understand. I thanks to all. Rogerio
Cunha - IC Member of the Guild. Rio de Janeiro

Hi, Rogerio

Maybe I can explain a little. A kerf is the track left by a saw. So, if you
make a very short dummy pin, which has been cut off only a little way from
the hole, you can saw up to the hole easily. The open space made by the saw
is the "kerf", and when you want to remove the string from the dummy pin,
you can pull the becket (the straight piece of wire going through the hole)
out through the "kerf", instead of having to pull it out of the hole with
pliers. Therefore, it "slips out" quickly.

Then, however, you will have a tight coil, and to put it on the new pin you
will still need to bend the becket outward. So perhaps the open slot
doesn't save all that much effort.

I hope this was helpful.

Susan
Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com

"The closest you will ever come in this life to an orderly universe is a
good library."
		-- Ashleigh Brilliant