DUMMY PIN

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Fri, 12 Jun 1998 08:01:00

Hi, Lance

I just use the regular hand crank to make the coils. I've never cut the
slot, though Jon is tempting me to try making one (from the bottom). I also
like the Sciortino coil-maker, but that's a whole different thing. I use it
when I'm restringing a whole section or a whole piano. For replacing
individual strings on existing pins I use the crank.

The rubber thing would be fun to try. Might also help one's grip on the pin
when turning the coil. My short pin was thoroughly rounded and smoothed,
and now is smoother yet from repeated use. It doesn't mar anything very
easily.

Regards,

Susan

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

At 07:07 AM 6/12/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Susan et al,
>Sorry- I don't mean to run this thing in the ground, but.....I understand
>now why you cut the length of the pin.  Do you use the coil
>maker?  Are *you* just putting a slot in the top if the pin?  With the dot
>in
>the exclamation point being the bottom of the string hole?  Why do some of
>you cut from the bottom and not the top?  Is it just easier to cut, or some
>other reason.  I cut for the slot from the top, but that was only because I
>wasn't shortening the pin and the top was closer to the becket hole than
>the bottom was.  Again, are you all using a coil maker if some kind?  I
>wonder if after cutting the length of the pin, dipping it/coating it at
>it's bottom with that rubber stuff you see advertised for adding rubber
>grips to tools would help further minimize plate damage? Or sliding on a
>short piece of tubing that fits snuggly over the bottom tip?
>
>           slot
>	| I |
>	| I |
>	| ! |
>	|   |
>	|__|
>
>Lance Lafargue, RPT
>New Orleans Chapter
>Covington, LA.
>lafargue@iamerica.net

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com

"Enormous amounts of information are available, including, however, very
little reliable data on what it all means."
			-- Ashleigh Brilliant