Gregory Torres Tunapiana@adisfwb.com
Sat, 13 Jun 1998 02:39:09 -0700

James,

Is it the butt plates that are breaking or the rail itself? If it is chronic
you may just have a case where the brass  has  "crystallized". I don't know if
this is a legitimate technical term for it but I don't know any other way to
explain it except that the brass has changed it's molecular structure and has
weakened. Or somewhere another tech has over-tightened the screws weakening the
brass. If it is the rail you may have to have the brass rail duplicated. I
don't know who does this anymore-anyone else???

You might also be able to get by with the brass rail flange/plate repair clips
sold by Apsco or Schaff. They have proven indispensable for me many times. I
keep a couple dozen of the different types in my parts bin at all times. Good
Luck.

BTW, maybe someone can explain why stainless steel has not been used in this
type of application (I haven't seen it used anyways) besides being more costly
than brass, perhaps??? Del?? any others??

Regards,
Greg Torres