spade legs

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Sat, 13 Jun 1998 08:50:54 -0700 (MST)

Hi James:

In a small shop, one could layout the shape on two sides at a time and
cut with a bandsaw, then layout the shape on the other two sides and cut
with the bandsaw. Finish up with belt sander or carefully with a drum
sander. It would be good to leave an extra block of wood beyond the
the spade end to keep the cuts all parallel, and especially when doing the
sanding. You can cut of the extra piece afterward.

In the factories they do this with special shaped knives on cam
operated turning lathes. I know, it sounds strange to be cutting square
legs on a turning lathe, but they do it all the time.

Jim Coleman, Sr.