Inharmonicity in strings

Billbrpt@aol.com Billbrpt@aol.com
Sat, 13 Jun 1998 13:34:22 EDT

In a message dated 6/13/98 10:47:09 AM Central Daylight Time,
pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU writes:

<< Thanks for triggering me on this subject. I haven't written about this
 since I wrote about it to Virgil Smith several years ago. this incidentally
 forms some of the basis for his theory about listening to the fundamentals
 only when tuning, or more correctly, listening to the whole tone.

 Jim Coleman, Sr. >>

Thank you for these remarks.  However, I don't think we are talking about the
same thing.  In order to hear beats, you have to hear them between coincident
partials which are mismatched.  If you had 2 pure tones (with no
harmonics/partials) and one was slightly sharper than the other, you would
hear a beat between them.  However, if one were at a pitch which would form a
tempered 3rd, 4th or 5th or a stretched octave, I don't think you could hear a
beat in that case.  Am I right or wrong about that?

The example I think of is how you can clearly hear a beat in a tempered Octave
and 5th (12th). The 3rd partial of the lower note is coincident with the
fundamental of the upper one.  You cannot however hear a beat in an octave and
a 4th because there are no coincident partials.  You could mistune the upper
note flat or sharp all you want and there will be no beat.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin