bowed piano (was inharmonicity)

Billbrpt@aol.com Billbrpt@aol.com
Sat, 13 Jun 1998 13:48:45 EDT

In a message dated 6/12/98 11:16:14 PM Central Daylight Time,
birketts@wright.aps.uoguelph.ca writes:

<< Robert remarked:
 > It might be awkward, but imagine that you could somehow get a
 > bow to scrape across a piano string. ....

 Well...
 There is an historical precedent for this...it isn't so bizarre. The
 Stein piano (c1780) in the Boston Museum of Fine Arts is believed to have
 been a Saitenharmonika originally (the bowing apparatus has been lost).
 This is essentially a regular piano with circular bows that rotate and
 can excite the strings. So you see nothing is new.

I think I might like something like this better than the "Orchestra Soft" MIDI
apparatus that Yamaha makes.  If I wantto hear bowed strings from a piano, I'd
rather hearreal ones than whatever it is that you do hear.  While they're at
it, add some bells and whistles and some of those loud reeds like my Cajun
Accordian has.  What an orchestra that would be!

If they could do it back then, they can do it today!

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison,WIsconsin